Support Rolls In for “No More Solyndras Act”
WASHINGTON, DC – The House Energy and Commerce Committee today released a list of letters and statements showing the growing support for the “No More Solyndras Act,” a signature piece of committee legislation co-authored by full committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) and Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee Chairman Cliff Stearns (R-FL). The committee has received endorsements for the bill from government watchdog groups and free-market advocates who believe the legislation, which calls for the termination of the Department of Energy’s loan guarantee program, is essential to the committee’s mission of eliminating government waste and protecting taxpayers.
- American Commitment said, “Federal bureaucrats simply do a poor job of picking promising energy technologies, which should be unsurprising because they lack the dispersed knowledge that only the marketplace can efficiently use to allocate resources.”
- The American Conservative Union praised the legislation’s elimination of DOE’s loan guarantee program, stating, “It’s also clear from your investigation that politics and ideology drove the decision-making process, rather than sound business practices.”
- The American Energy Alliance described the “No More Solyndras Act” as “one of the most common sense pieces of legislation to come from the 112th Congress.”
- Americans for Prosperity said, “Government should not be in the business of advantaging the capital needs of certain industries or individual companies over others.”
- Americans for Tax Reform and the Cost of Government Center expressed the need for the legislation, stating, “Unfortunately, the Obama Administration is willing to stake the American people’s money on failing companies that have not been thoroughly investigated and were rushed through the door.”
- Citizens Against Government Waste urged committee members to support a full elimination of the loan guarantee program, stating, “The Solyndra flame should have been expected, as the GAO found that the loan guarantee program was a poorly-crafted program that lacked robust internal management controls, clearly delineated performance benchmarks, transparent eligibility requirements, and accountability.”
- Heritage Action also lent its support to the bill, stating, “The ‘No More Solyndras Act’ would signal a clear end to business-as-usual and ensure taxpayers are never again on the hook for reckless, politically-motivated government boondoggles like Solyndra.”
- Let Freedom Ring endorsed the legislation, stating that it “is a necessary step toward renewing the confidence the American people have in their government.”
To view a list of letters and statements of support for the “No More Solyndras Act,” please click here.