Providing Relief & Protecting Consumers
We’re providing relief to struggling American families during this severe economic downturn by putting consumers first. The Committee is fighting to make health care, prescription drug, and utility bills more affordable. We want to ensure all Americans have access to affordable and quality health care, safe drinking water, high-speed internet, and a cleaner environment.
- Expanded access to affordable health care coverage during the pandemic: The American Rescue Plan was the largest expansion of health care coverage in more than a decade. Millions of Americans will gain coverage and see their monthly insurance premiums go down. It includes a new incentive for states to expand Medicaid by temporarily increasing the federal medical assistance percentage by five percentage points.
- Continued to build on the success of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to expand health coverage and lower costs: The Health Subcommittee held a legislative hearing on 18 bills to build on the progress made in the American Rescue Plan by expanding access to quality, affordable health care for the people.
- Helped families with their utility bills so they can keep the lights on, the heat working, and the water running: The American Rescue Plan provides $5 billion to those most in need to pay their utility bills at a time when so many Americans are spending unprecedented amounts of time at home.
- Expanded internet connectivity to help students and teachers without home internet access so that we can close the homework gap: The American Rescue Plan provides $7.1 billion for schools and libraries to purchase the technology and devices that students, teachers, and staff need for internet connectivity.
- Working to ensure child safety online: The Consumer Protection and Commerce Subcommittee held a hearing examining how to protect children in an increasingly digital age. Screen time for children has doubled during the COVID-19 pandemic.