H.R. 3522 Employee Health Care Protection Act (Sponsored by Dr. Cassidy)
"[W]e will keep this promise to the American people: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period."
- President Obama, Remarks Before the American Medical Association
June 15, 2009
- Last fall, millions of Americans all across the country had their health plans cancelled despite repeated promises from the president and his allies in Congress that if you liked your health plan, you would be able to keep it.
- In the fall of 2013, health plan cancellations were concentrated in the individual insurance market. Sadly, millions of Americans with employer-sponsored coverage also face plan cancellations because of the Affordable Care Act.
- Insurance industry experts testified before the Energy and Commerce Committee that approximately 50 million American workers with fully-insured coverage face plan cancellations or disruptions because of ACA requirements and regulations.
- Forbes warned last year, "Starting in October 2014, many employees of small businesses will start getting the same notices that are now being mailed to individuals, informing that their existing health plans are also being cancelled."
- Americans rightly feel misled by President Obama and Washington Democrats. Their false assurance that Americans could keep their health care plan was recognized as the 2013 "Lie of the Year."
- Rep. Bill Cassidy, M.D. (R-LA) has introduced H.R. 3522 – a bill that would help American workers keep their health plans and fulfill the president’s broken promise. This legislation would give Americans in the group insurance market the opportunity to keep their policies in 2014 through 2019.
- The bill would also give other small businesses and their workers the option to choose non-ACA compliant plans – giving them access to more affordable options that can better meet their needs than what is available today and more affordable coverage than what is available today under the president’s health care law.
- H.R. 3522 would also ensure that Americans enrolled in these health plans would not face a penalty under Obamacare’s individual mandate.