The 21st Century Cures Act
WASHINGTON, DC – The House Energy and Commerce Committee recently voted 51-0 approving H.R. 6, the 21st Century Cures Act. This nonpartisan legislation is a product of more than a year of working with patients, advocates, researchers, innovators, and health care professionals to bring our nation’s laws up to speed with advances in medicine and technology. Over a year ago, Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) and Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO) began the 21st Century Cures conversation to discuss the many incredible scientific advancements and breakthrough studies happening each day and how those can be used to find cures and therapies for the thousands of conditions and diseases without them.
The 21st Century Cures Act accelerates the discovery, development, and delivery of life saving and life improving therapies and transforms the quest for faster cures by:
- Removing barriers to increased research collaboration.
- Incorporating the patient perspective into the drug development and regulatory review process.
- Measuring success and identifying diseases earlier through personalized medicine.
- Modernizing clinical trials.
- Removing regulatory uncertainty for the development of new medical apps.
- Providing new incentives for the development of drugs for rare diseases.
- Helping the entire biomedical ecosystem coordinate more efficiently to find faster cures.
- Investing in 21st Century science and next generation investigators.
- HR 6 helps keep and create jobs here at home.
Click the icons in the graphic to learn more: