WASHINGTON, DC – The House Energy and Commerce Committee today announced a hearing before the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee for Wednesday, October 11, 2017, at 10 a.m. in room 2123 of the Rayburn House Office Building. The hearing is entitled, “Examining How Covered Entities Utilize the 340B Drug Pricing Program.”
The hearing follows #SubOversight’s July hearing regarding oversight challenges of the 340B drug pricing program. During that hearing, HHS’ Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) testified that they did not have the authority to track how a participating hospital might manage their savings in order to improve patient care.
At next week’s hearing, members will hear directly from entities participating in the program to get a better understanding of how the program is used, including how much money is saved, the types of drugs purchased and prescribed within the program, how entities track their savings, and how those savings are used to improve patient care.
Confirmed witnesses include:
- Sue Veer, MBA, CMPE, President and CEO, Carolina Health Centers, Inc.
- Mike Gifford, President and CEO, AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin
- Ronald A. Paulus, M.D., President and CEO, Mission Health Systems, Inc.
- Charles Reuland, MHS, Sc.D, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Office, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Shannon A. Banna, Director of Finance and System Controller, Northside Hospital, Inc.
Last month, committee leaders sent a series of letters to a diverse group of covered entities participating in the program to probe how program savings are used to help patients.
The Majority Memorandum, witness list, and witness testimony for the hearing will be available here as they are posted.